Monday, September 3, 2007

Out with the Old, in with the New







Its been another long day, and i'm slightly dissappointed because the long weekend feels less like a nice break and more like a set of chore days. Either way, today has been a day of my nerdy side. My computer has had a host of issues that range from the usual ( runs slow, choppy data) to the strange, almost poltergeist-ish (makes funny noises at odd hours of the night).




My computer's case looks like something you'd find in a junkyard under a stack of old VCR's from the 1980's. Its a disorganized mass of wires and parts that look less like modern technology and more like Optimus' innards. I had to spend WAY too much money today to buy a new harddrive, a new external harddrive for backup purposes, and then I also found out my sweet Minolta SRT might have a functionality problem.
I installed the new drive ( a sleek 250 SATA drive) and reconnected both old harddrives and pulled off my of my important data. Both drives weren't working for reasons I couldnt' figure.
For a certain period of time I had to "jumpstart" my computer. Basically if I turned it off for over a day, it would take about 5 starts to go into windows. It would turn on hang up, and do that in progressive increments until it went all the way into windows. Then for a while the computer just went into Standby mode for reasons I couldnt' figure out. So I swapped the drives (the main was an older IDE 250 gig) with the older drive ( an NEC 120 gig ) and that seemed to work for a while. It was fun because I rediscovered a lot of old data like songs and text files on my other machine that I hadn't seen in a while. Either way, this system didn't last very long. Once or twice I tried reconnected the larger former drive as the main, but it wouldnt' even go into windows. A weird set of blue-green blocks resembling a Nintendo screen hangup would show up.
I eventually realized that my power supply wasn't working properly, and my theory was that the power supply was shorting out, and damaging the drives over time. It was either supplying too much, or too little power to the drives, which made them run hot and then burn out. When I returned from Jamaica not too long ago, both drives were dead. The computer woudnt' boot at all. (There was a brief moment two days ago when magically the NEC came back to life, but then it died after five minutes).
Today I went to the mall to get the new stuff and I dropped my harddrive in a ziplock bag in the fridge (I hear that helps if you want to pull off the data). When I came back everything started working...as a slave drive. The drives that were formerly known as --- EVIL suddenly behaved themselves very well when a new guy was in the building. However, i'm sure these drives are sending thousands of nasty packets to my new drives, so after I backup everything, they will be disconnected forever...ever....
I'll be catching up on a few movies I had planned to watch and a few series, like 'My name is Earl'. This should really boost my deplorable computer situation, because my laptop is dead as well. Its a nice paperweight on my desk. I can use it to protect my novels on windy days. I dont' like sitting at this computer and typing... I think I just don't like my room that much. But at the very least I have the option of doing that. So... like the name of the post says... out with old... in with the?
You got it.




No comments: