Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Computer Saga & The Jena 6

Wow... so I ended up scrapping my old machine, spending 300 bucks (which brings my grand total to 380 now...) and I bought a super fast machine from a friend. So for the moment it seems my computer problems are solved. *Crosses fingers*.

Now, today was a very interesting day, particulary in terms of race issues. i have a class, "Contemporary topics in mass communications" and I viewed a video called "ETHNIC NOTIONS".. it was VERY disturbiing. Particularly because it focused on older stereotypical images of African-Americans in the media ranging from the Antebellum period onward to the 20th century. It was hard for me to watch images of people being lynched and learn even more about the brutal past of America. Following this train of thought (coincidentally it seems) there was a rally regarding the Jena 6 on campus today. The Jena 6, for those who don't know, are those six unfortunate souls who are facing a combined 100 years or more in prison because of excessive charges. The basic story is, there is a tree which only white students sat at, at a certain school in Lousiana. One day a few black students sat at the tree, and the next day there were three NOOSES on the tree, a definite throwback to slavery days. Tensions escalated (a white student even drew a shotgun on some students) and then a fight started. So far, no white students have been charged, there were no witnesses brought to trial, yet sentencing was done in two days and several of the six were convicted of attempted murder, with one young man in particular facing 22 years in prison.

Its sad when I think of these things still happening in America. A hangman's noose? Why would a kid brought up on MTV, a society that is embracing more interracial couples, etcetera, put a NOOSE on a tree? That sounds like a throwback to something else. Either way, there was a rally on campus that I went to, but when I reached the venue it was filled to capacity, so the overflow of students outside had a insightful rally which was a mixture of spoken word, positive words from a few elders and thoughts about the future. As a Caribbean student, I thought it was necessary to remind people that if it wasn't for all the things that had taken place fifty years ago, I wouldn't be able to attend school in the states.

Just one of those days I guess. So I have a new computer, I'm somewhat enlightened and i'm ready to rock and roll with some projects.
ciao

No comments: