Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lonely Heart + Cold = Hit Song

(me at the National Gallery of Art in late 2006)


I'm incubated.

I'm locked into that cycle of in the house doing work, out to class to spend hours in lectures, and then back into the house to do more work. I broke this down with my friend today. When an able-bodied young man finds himself watching 4400 at six p.m on a random Tuesday evening then you know something is wrong. But this is real life.The reality of certain things were unveiled to me when I moved off-campus two years ago. Firstly, when you live seven miles away from a social hub (i.e college). There willl be no one to speak to save your roommate, and no where to go. Secondly, you desire to do less. Basically everything else becomes important. How well food tastes, how comfortable your bed is, how funny that romantic comedy you watch by yourself is, etc. I was walking to class today listening to an Our Lady Peace album, Spiritual Machines, and it sounds like the soundtrack to my life right now. Track 4, "Life", starts out with a few questions that everyone can relate to:"How many times have you been pushed around? Is anybody there? Does anybody care?"
"How many times have your friends let you down? Is anybody there? Did anybody stare?"

Introspective questions run abound in this track, and then it goes into a melancholy (yet oddly uplifting) chorus, where leader singer Raine Maida tells me that 'Life is waiting for you'. The Peace has been known to drop sometimes cryptic lyrics onto their fans, but I felt chills hearing these questions asked to me by someone I don't know. Then, on track 7, "Are you sad?" it asks even more questions:
"Are you sad? Are you holding yourself? Are you locked in your room? You shouldn't be...."

Too often I have felt like this person... sometimes a bit trapped by circumstance, or something else. Its the working grind of the world that keeps us in that bubble of limited social interactions.
Even though I do have classes with people I interact with THEN, when the day ends everyone goes their separate ways. I go home, and listen to depressed millionaires sing about their life's discourses.

I think this is part of being a writer, or an artist. I'm not just sitting by myself staring at the ceiling, getting familiar with little cracks in certain spots, I'm being proactive. I sit, I write, I design, I do a lot of things. But as I told my friend from a class today, "If no one knows you, no one can ever know you are talented."

I think I'm having an off day again. The work load of school is normalizing. This means for me that things are reaching a natural order where I know what I have to do to maximize my time in classes and so forth, but dammit it gets really lonely sometimes. Its also starting to get cold, meaning if I am going to get in the groove with some people, i'll have to do it soon. Or I will be "holding myself" in my room, amidst the eerie pluckings of some faceless man's guitar.

No one can really describe certain kinds of loneliness. It sits on your tongue like the leftover taste of flat soda, and tugs at your hair like an inattentive child. I'm sure the loneliness a business CEO with 14 hour days, millions in the bank and no time to socialize is uniquely different from a college kid who spends his days writing and doing classes. But at the end, they are both suffering from a mild form of social disconnect; a lack of options.

I don't think i'm sad, but man, sometimes I feel like i'm halfway there. But I will press on... keep writing, with my eye on the prize.

No comments: