Sunday, September 23, 2007

3 days 8 hrs of sleep




Its been an interesting weekend. I completed my first film shoot (With film), doing a funny short about two guys who see a box of cereal and end up battling each other nearly to death for it, and then I've also proven to myself that I can function on little or no sleep while maintaining proper use of my mental thingamabobs.

I watched a movie today, "Sunshine". I have to say the movie really moved me. (say that three times fast). The last film that made me sit and think for twenty minutes after I watched it was Contact, in 1997. Something about people will to do anything for the betterment of mankind always appeals to me, but the Cinematography was amazing in the film. I've never seen space look so scary, like the void it really is. The film grabs you with a sort of claustrophobic flair, making you not only look at Space outside as some scary unforseen terrain, but a black hole from which there is truly no return. Either way, in light of watching this movie, I know there ar emany things in my life I contemplate, including life and death. This movie expressed to me a previous assertion I had made about the universe.

We are infinitesimally small in a infinitely large universe.

The first few times I thought about this, I felt small and unimportant, but the reality of such truths run dow two paths. I can (a) either think that I am a speck of ink on the palette which is the universe, or (b) I can know that the universe is large and wondrous, so EVERY day should be a great one, simply because existing and being sentient in an of itself is a great thing.

I haven't thought about these things recently, but this film definitely stirred my mind up. When I was twelve or thirteen, I would get depressed because I knew I wouldn't live to see the future that I saw in Star Trek. Later I would realize this was a silly thing to worry about, as I certainly couldn't control the time I was born, where I was born or what my circumstances are. I simply am. Toss that statement at any contemporary philosopher and you'll have two book deals and an appearance on The View in no time. But this thing about life... and the ups and downs and ins and outs of it, can always dissapppear. I know there are always moments when you a person "disconnects" for a while. They look at the stars, lost in imaging those balls of energy so so far away. Or when someone thinks about the REAL size of the universe. Suddenly, not having that new Ipod Touch isn't such a big deal, and your ex-girlfriend sleeping with the guy from that History elective really isn't that important. A lot of people believe that people are expressions of the universe's intelligence. After all, I am aware of my existence, and I appreciate the fact that I have this heightened level of experience and choice unlike some lesser life forms below me.
(although I sometimes envy pigs, because they have 30 minute orgasms.) George Mead smiles upon me as I write this.

But regardless of what i'm thinking now, i'll fall back into mainstream thought soon enough. I'm wired back into the miles of underground fiber optic wires that connnect these cities, books and mainstream media will tickle my eyes and ears, and i'll be thinking about the ten by fifteen room I live in more than the vastness of the universe.

But sometimes, its really cool to just look up at the sky, and be happy to know I know its the sky.
Deep? maybe after a few beers.


No comments: