Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Futile Fight






The project i've been mentioning intermittently in these blogs (Three Weeks and Hurricane) is my first real attempt at writing non-fiction. It has to deal with me, and me trying to find out my next step in life, by using a month in Jamaica for that EXACT purpose. Now, to make life easier next time I feel like writing non-fiction, I will write essays (probably short blogs) to capture some prevailing thoughts of mine, so that as time passes I'll find it easier to write non-fiction. To me, even non-fiction must have some kind of story, or a framework someone can follow. I'm not sure if I have that specifically in TWAH. I'll have to polish the story, and do some heavy re-writing (like any book) but I think the "theme" of non-fiction needs to be captured in a certain viewpoint, consistently over time. The Emotion can't vary too much, nor can the feel.
So, I think this is me trying to document my thoughts for another project possibly in the future.

The Futile Fight

My friend and I are heading to a party called Wet in Georgetown. Its Saturday, and I spent Friday night at their place in Silver Spring to escape the noisy ravages of the Northwest DC. I like Silver Spring. It has a clean, well-combed vibe to it that always makes me think of family and kids. This is probably a biased perspective, because there is a particular area in downtown Silver Spring where they have Astroturf setup. On any given sunny day, you will see parents with their children roaming about, tossing projectiles and spilling liquids. My friends live no where near this area. They are about ten minutes up the road in a quiet housing complex. A friend of mine, a cool Italian guy who uses "Fuck" after every tenth word, tells me to head to this place called the Blue Gin for a free party.
"Come man, its gonna be great you know, fucking hot bitches and what not my man. " I laughed as he said this. However, it was Saturday night and like many stressed out college seniors, I needed something to do.
Whenever I think of Georgetown, two things come to mind. A certain smell, and an image of a certain strip on Wisconsin Avenue. I'm assuming these two things pop into my head first because when I went to the Georgetown Mall for the first time, it had a very odd smell, like someone sprayed Gucci No.5 in a bathroom occupied by a troop of red bull-amped chimps. The second image i'm sure is based on my previous French Connection obsession (possibly 30% of my wardrobe is french connection) and that was one of the first stores I would frequent. My two images aren't the common representation of the town. I'd say that most people (who dont' live in Georgetown) think of two things when they go there, Money and stuffy people. I personally don't like to cover everyone in a demographic under a certain blanket, but being at a club in Georgetown really does remind me of some of the really "uptown" parties I go to in Jamaica. The normal setup seems to be a lot of very nicely dressed people standing up, talking with people they are familiar with, and then ignoring everyone else. I'm sure this formula doesn't hold all the time, but like most people who don't live in Georgetown. I don't care. That's just how it seems.
I'm venturing to the club this night simply because the week has been filled with stressful night and annoyingly long classes. Like most parts of the city, finding parking is next to impossible and I end up going to the club first while my friend looks for parking. For September 15, it is unusually chilly and I frown slightly thinking of the grisly winter about to come. Blue Gin is in an alley between an Abercrombie & Fitch and Benneton store. I recognize the spot, the last time I went there was with my very assertive Moroccan friend who scoffed at the prices of the drinks and demanded to go somewhere else. After I schmooze with the bouncer a bit, he checks my name on a list to get into the private party upstairs and I go inside. Its a very nice, high-endish lounge with soft lighting, a few nice bars with plush leather couches and glass tables. The crowd is relatively mixed in the usual Georgetown way, a delicate sprinking of mostly white, mostly Middle-eastern people then a drop of two of any other minority groups. I go upstairs and greet my friend Mr. B who's with his girlfriend. We have a few moments of small talk and in between I survey the crowd.
Everyone seems like the white collar types, milling about on their third drink. I see a lot of cute girls, but i'm not inspired. Its only 11:30. I'll have to see if the mood of the place changes in an hour or so before I can dub the event a "flop" or "hot". I get a drink and sip on it while I watch the crowd some more. The birthday girl is a slim, attractive blonde with pretty eyes. She walks around almost on her toes, smiling and taking pictures. I hear its her twenty-fifth birthday. I immediately assume she is wealthy, has a GREAT job and would never speak to me.
I tell her happy birthday the next time she walks past me.

By the time my friend finds parking and comes into the club, I've been talking with Mr. B's girlfriend and her two friends and found some interesting information. One friend will be leaving on Tuesday to go to New York to be a producer for the MSNBC show HardBall. The other girl, when I asked her "What do you do?" she smiled, looked to the left as if to say ' How do I say this?'. Then her friend, Mr. B's girlfriend touched me and said "She's a dancer." "A dancer?" I said repeated. "No, she's actually a stripper."
They both laugh and I take another look at her friend. She is attractive, with long jet black hair, and a shapely body, but I wouldn't have pegged her for a stripper. I hadn't even been to a strip club in DC yet. In between calling a strip club a "Gentleman's club" and laughing amongst each other about something happening near the bar, I left and went downstairs. The music had started to pickup now,( meaning the DJ got smart and started playing Hip-hop) and I headed to the dance floor. This is where the "Futile Fight" begins. The first thing I notice is what I call the "defensive formation". Like the Roman Phalanx, women who go to clubs have a formation I call "The Ring." Its pretty explanatory. The girls form a ring and dance and laugh amongst each other while any guy who tries to break this formation generally gets rejected. The only thing I've noticed with this military exercise is that as 'the ring' grows in size if two or three guys come in all at once, its hard for the other friends to help them reject the fellow,s.

I'm on the dance floor and I see three rings. In the corner six very cute girls dance with themselves with their backs turned to everyone. Beside me, a gorgeous Euro-looking chick and her two Indian girlfriends are dancing three millimeters apart. Behind me, a gaggle of black chicks dance in a similar ring. To the left of them, a mixed bag of Asian and white girls are dancing as well, also in a ring. I see four guys try with different groups to get a dance, or to get in, and they are all shot down. I don't try anything. I'm dancing by myself and having enough fun to not be depressed. I've seen "the Ring" so many times that if I go to a club where there are more than five rings I either dance by myself or leave shortly after. A friend of mine once told me, "Guys are so grimy in the club. All they want to do is grab your ass and try and sleep with you that night. When I go to the club, I go to have fun, so I don't dance with anyone."
To this, I chuckled. Of course there are guys who go to clubs to do just that, but most guys are insecure, working and have little time to socialize. They go to clubs to meet women, end of story. So i'm thinking, If I go to ten clubs in a night, and let's say 90% of the girls who I like don't want to dance/meet anyone. Then no matter how good looking you are (this actually might help ) you might be fighting an uphill battle. Add to that the fact that a lot of people dress and act the same, so there is nothing really to distinguish you from anyone else. 99% of the black guy in the club had shaved heads and had on similar outfits (light coloured dress shirts, nice pants). 90% of the white guys in the club were dressed in a similar fashion also. What distinguishes everyone? Well, for the black guys they had different heights, skin tones and builds. For the white guys, they had different color hair, heights, and builds. But let's say for the most part everyone looks "the same". What's going to make you anymore interesting than me? Since all black men supposedly can dance, what's to make a girl want to dance with me more than the next guy? Or, what's to make a girl think this guy over here has a better job than that guy?

Futile fight? Who knows. But I left the club after an hour and headed to Wonderland, on 11th Street in Northwest DC. I headed upstairs to the dance floor and a slovenly looking man in a red shirt rested his hand on my chest.
"You're overdresed." he said.
I glanced at his hand. He patted my chest again.
"You're overdressed."
He walked away and I smiled to myself. In a Sports Jacket I was overdressed for Wonderland, which is a residential bar in Columbia Heights (everyone was wearing a t-shirt). But I was more comfortable. Wonderland broke the mold. There were no rings. I might not have a victory, but its not that much of a futile fight.

* * * *

No comments: