Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Super Pants Return!

I'm sitting down, and breaking in a new pair of pants.

This amuses me, because breaking in a new set of jeans usually requires physical activity, a party or two, and a few thousand steps of walking. I recently bought a new pair of black fitted jeans (the word "fitted" is a gross understatement) and I've started the breaking-in process by wearing them and sitting at my computer desk. I was at my friend's house last night, watching Live Free or Die Hard on his massive HDTV, playing Gears of War and eating a snack I've concocted which consists of Tostitos and shredded cheese (mixed cheddar.) "I got a new pair of paints today." I say to him."Tight pants! Rockstar pants!"

He laughs. This observation is true because these are quite possibly the tightest pants i've ever worn (Purple versace jeans not withstanding). As soon as I tried them on, I knew they were me. They aren't as bad as the "Skinny" jeans I tried on at Urban Outfitters two weeks back. Although these are skinny jeans, for some reason they don't feel like fluffed up Spandex. They have a nice tight fit, have a little leg room and make me feel amazing. These are pants designed for men who wear briefs, but I dont' fall into that category and I can't see myself wearing no underwear (at anytime, not just wintertime). The pants are designed by a guy who named the line Bowie after the original pretty-man himself, David bowie. I didn't spend that much time looking at the rest of his line, I just saw these jeans at a GREAT price and decided to "cop" them.
My last affair with the first pair of pants I dubbed the "super pants" was in early 2007. I was heading off to Europe and French Connection was having a sale. I couldn't resist, as I had been searching for a pair of proper straight leg fitted jeans for a while. I had a venerable pair of black Dolce& Gabana jeans which put up a good two year fight. The Dolces had seen at least four tailors, had the crotch patched an equal number of times, and had a hole or two stiched up near the thigh. Now that I think about it, my D&G's were my first real pair of super pants. When I wore those I felt powerful and classic. Ready for any number of paparazzi pictures with me walking with a nameless soon-to-be supermodel. In retrospect, there are many things I should have never done in those jeans:

1) Play a heated game of Badmington while wearing dress shoes
2) Play a second set of said game
3) Learn a German rave-ish dance called "Jumpstyle" in the jeans.

Now my D&G's are lying on my floor. They are weathered and a little rugged with the tell-tale sing of faded black jeans. I still wear them on occassion, though they fit a bit loosely. The reigning set of super pants from FC still get regular wear, and they are well broken in. "Tight but not toight." is what I like to say, following the description of Goldmember from Austin powers. If he were to see me in my jeans, he would say. "They are toight! Toight like a Toiger!"

I am not entirely sure why I feel so drawn to a well-fitted pair of black designer jeans. I have an ongoing anti-blue jeans crusade ( fodder for another post) and I like to feel "snug" when I walk around. Either way, the current king will know soon enough that a new pair of jeans have creeped in to slowly dethrone him. As time passes and the jeans become more broken in, I will give them a test run, maybe even this Friday. However, walking to the bathroom I could feel the pants hugging my thighs like a lecherous woman and affecting the speed with which I walk.
Its a little sad when you begin to grade how tight your pants are by what you can't put in the pockets. For a few pairs of my pants, they cannot hold my:

Wallet, cellphone or keys... only chapstick.

I should call these the super-tight, superpants. A whole new category. Actually I think I have a name for them:

Pete Wentz Pants.

Yes! The super pants will remain as they are, and now these are the Pete Wentzes.

Ciao.

No comments: